International Placement Scheme 2018 reopenedReturn to opportunities
The IPS scheme has been reopened and applicants are invited to submit applications to the following world-leading, international institutions:
- National Institutes for the Humanities (NIHU), Japan
- Shanghai Theatre Academy (STA), Shanghai, China
- Smithsonian Institution, Washington D.C., USA
This is an annual programme providing Research Fellowships to AHRC funded doctoral students, early career researchers and doctoral-level research assistants.
The purpose of the Call - described as an ‘IPS Fellowship’ - is to provide Early Career Researchers (ECRs), doctoral level research assistants and AHRC funded doctoral students with dedicated access to the internationally renowned collections, programmes and expertise held at the three IPS institutions.
The AHRC offers differing numbers of placements at each institution (please see the guidance on costs section VI for the proposed numbers). Placements will be for 3-6 months; the total awarded consists of an £870 stipend for travel and visa costs and a living stipend of £1200 for each month of the fellowship.
- Provide ECRs, doctoral level research assistants and AHRC - funded doctoral students, with dedicated access to the internationally renowned collections/ programmes/ expertise held at these three IPS institutions;
- Enhance the depth, range and quality of research activities conducted by scholars;
- Create opportunities for networking with other international scholars at those institutions.
For guidance on how to apply to each of the institutions, the rules and eligibility of the scheme please see the IPS 2018 Reopened Call Guidance (PDF, 664KB).
Closing Date: 28/02/2018
|Application forms available on Je-S||1 February 2018|
|Deadline for submissions||28 February 2018, 16.00 (GMT)|
|Moderating Meetings||30 March - 30 April 2018|
|Funding decisions to be issued (Outcome letters)||May 2018 TBC|
|Start date of awards||Varies dependent on Placement Institution|
How to make an application
Applications should be completed and submitted using the Research Councils’ Joint electronic Submission (Je-S) system, and will need to go through the approval process at the UK research organisation prior to this deadline.
‘How to complete the Je-S application form for IPS’ provides guidance on the information that needs supplied, including what to enter in the application form itself and which attachments are permitted. Please consult the IPS Call document too while putting together an application.
Please note that we cannot accept applications directly from students: the application must come from the UK RO and be in the name of someone at the RO eligible to submit an application (for example a member of staff in the Research Office).
ECRs should submit their own application following the UK organisation’s approval and submission process.
There is no cap on the numbers of applications that can be submitted by a UK Research Organisation.
- IPS reopened call - Guidance (PDF, 664KB)
- IPS reopened - Je-S guidance (PDF, 618KB)
- IPS Grading Scale (PDF, 99KB)
- Stories from IPS fellows are on our international blog: Research Beyond Borders
- Dr Laura MacDonald on her placement the Shangai Theatre Academy
For UK/AHRC queries about this call such as eligible activities and costs or remit of the call email: email@example.com or telephone 01793 41 6060
Enquiries relating to technical aspects of the Je-S form should be addressed to: Je-S Helpdesk.Return to opportunities