RCUK Policy Internships SchemeReturn to opportunities
The Research Councils organise internships for current Research Council-funded PhD students to work at partner host organisations on one or more policy topics relevant to both the student and the host. The student will be expected to produce at least one briefing paper, participate in a policy inquiry and/or organise a policy event, or equivalent piece of work.
Internships are awarded to a number of Parliamentary, Government Departments and Non-Governmental Bodies, Learned societies/organisations.
The 22 Hosting Partners for the 2017/18 competition round are:
- Department for Education
- Department of Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS)
- Food Standards Agency
- Government Office for Science (GoS)
- Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC)
- HM Courts & Tribunals Services
- Home Office
- Joint Nature Conservation Committee (JNCC)
- National Assembly for Wales Research Service
- Natural England
- Northern Ireland Assembly (RaISe)
- Northern Ireland Housing Executive
- Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology (POST)
- Public Health England
- Scottish Environment Protection Agency
- Scottish Parliament Information Centre (SPICe)
- Scrutiny Unit
- Sentencing Council
- The Royal Society
- The Royal Society of Biology (RSB)
- Waste & Resources Action Programme (WRAP)
- Youth Justice Board for England & Wales
Closing Date: 10/08/2017
Applications will close at 4 pm on Thursday 10 August.
How to make an application
Applicants should complete the online application form. Applicants must also upload three documents before submitting their application; (i) A CV, (ii) A signed Funding and Permissions Form (see below) and (iii) A policy briefing. For further information, applicants are advised to read the guidance and host partner information documents provided below.
If you are having trouble accessing the online application form, please contact the NERC Research Careers Team for an alternative version of this form.
Assessment of applications is a two stage process: there will be an assessment of the written application and applicants successful at this stage will be invited to interview. Both stages of the assessment process will be undertaken by the host organisation.
Please note, only one application can be submitted by each applicant. The applicant must specify within their application which host organisation they wish to undertake an internship with and bear in mind any organisation specific guidance provided when preparing their application.
Further information regarding this scheme is available in the applicant guidance available below and from hosting partners.
- RCUK Policy Internships Scheme Online Application Form
- RCUK Policy Internships Funding and Permissions Form (MS Word )
- RCUK Policy Internships Scheme Applicant Guidance Document
- RCUK Policy Internships Scheme Host Partner Information
- RCUK Policy Internships Scheme Next Steps for Successful Applicants
The Research Council Policy Internships Scheme is being coordinated by the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) on behalf of all Research Councils. Questions about the internship should be addressed to the NERC Research Careers Team: firstname.lastname@example.orgReturn to opportunities